us

us

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Questions....

This was brought up on our forums and got me thinking. One thing that I've learned quickly from our adoption is that you're going to get stupid, rude, and intrusive questions and comments. I understand that this is only the beginning since Landon isn't home yet. I just think that it's sad that people feel that it's their "right" or that they are "entitled" to know why we are doing what we are. Honestly, the thought has never crossed my mind to ask a complete stranger in the store, or even really friends or family for that matter about their appearance, disability, their child, etc. I just think it's rude. I keep my thoughts and questions to myself pretty much all the time. I might say "aww, they are cute" or something of that nature, but it just doesn't "hit" me to make/ask a rude, instrusive, or nosy comment or question.

We've been asked how much it costs, about his birth family, about if he's in an orphanage, and several others. I believe one of the most annoying things we've been asked is "why not adopt in the US?" One of the most annoying comments we get is "now that you're adopting, you'll get pregnant." These are seriously things that we'd prefer not to be asked or hear while we are waiting on our son to come home. We love our son. More than anything in this world and we don't want anything to prevent us from bringing him home. Pregnancy would do just that. So no, we don't hope to get pregnant right now. As for adopting in the US, our decision was not based on race, but rather on what was best for us. Luckily for us, God doesn't love us or judge us based on the color of our skin. I don't feel that we should adopt based on skin color either. People who have never adopted just don't understand or get it. They think that there are millions of American babies just waiting for families and that it would be a lot easier to just adopt a child here. Or they may think, well there are plenty of Koreans that want to adopt babies from their own country. Neither of those statements are true. Ultimately, not to be rude, but where we adopt from is no one else's business but ours. This is what was right for Eric & me and how we are building our family.

Which brings me to another point. We have a wonderful support group in most of our family and friends. I am so thankful that God has built this support group around us. We're still praying for a couple of family members and that God can touch their hearts and change them to be accepting of our adoption. Only he can do that. I am especially thankful for the group of adoptive mommies that I've met. The forums and the mommies that I've met through them are absolutely wonderful and are the "best" source of advice and information I could ask for. To experience their journey with them and for them to be there for us through our journey is such a blessing.


4 comments:

  1. AMEN!! I wrote a very similar post a while back. Sad what people think they are entitled to ask and say. This is a tough journey, not only the wait, but dealing with everything else too, including honest insensitive remarks. I get it and I hope you two can stay strong, cause let me tell you mama, it's hard, as you already know! BUT - they do come home! ;) And every day is another day closer to our sweet children! :) Praying you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! I love this post and completely agree! I have had some questions that catch me off guard, and I usually just tell them the truth. $ - Adoption is expensive...most people already know this, but, they don't need to know the exact dollar amount! Amen! The pregnancy comment..seems odd to me...I have had that too...and I just smile and "think to myself", this is the journey GOD has taken us on...I believe HIS plan is way better than mine. Most questions are nervous energy, people just don't know what to ask if they have never had someone they know adopt. We (AP's)are all here to support eachother and what a blessing that is! My band of friends has increased ten-fold from this blessing from God~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the questions will come and will continue. I think it is up to each family to determine how they are going to deal with them. From my experience, though very nosy, I think most people ask because "we" are in the minority and are noticed when out. B has now started taking over the conversation and tells everyone where he is from. I like it that he does it- and it keeps people from getting too personal. I have had to tell people I won't discuss his "history" with them, it is HIS story and our families story- but HOPEFULLY God will use him and his life to show a new meaning to love :-)

    ReplyDelete